Creek Water

  • If you have a running creek within your property or on your boundary, then positioning your house below the creek can provide you with a ready source of gravity fed water, which can be stored in tanks before use.
  • If there is a slow moving stream nearby, a suitably installed hydraulic ram can pump water more than 30 metres to a gravity-feed tank. Rams are cheap, highly reliable and simple to install.  The supply pipe to the ram must be of a large diameter (2”/50mm).
  • Consider a spring or creek-head settling tank (1000 litres or so) to collect the mud that would otherwise enter the water line.  The tank must have a large drain tap at the bottom to allow the mud to wash out.  The outlet water line should then be positioned about halfway up the tank to allow clean water to flow to your home. 
  • Local advice would also recommend that you use a 1.5” to 2.0” 38.5/50mm diameter pipe, which is large enough to prevent white tail rats from chewing the pipe.
  • If you intend using creek water for any purpose OTHER than domestic or stock you will need to contact the Department of Natural Resources and Mines (DNRM) in Mareeba to authorise and issue a permit.
  • The Daintree Futures Study recommends no more than one extraction point per property on perennial streams and no more than one domestic extraction point per ephemeral stream.
  • Many older septic systems no longer meet minimum requirements in relation to distance from waterways and groundwater.  If you or your neighbours have an existing system you might consider getting a water test done.
  • Position all infrastructures some distance away from the creek, so it doesn’t wash away should the creek flood during heavy rain.